Gwola the Elephant
Queen Victoria had many pets, most notably dogs and parrots at Osborne. The much larger Windsor Castle allowed for a menagerie of animals which included monkeys, ostriches, lemurs and kangaroos. Mr George Wombwell, the famous owner of a travelling menagerie visited Windsor several times to exhibit more exotic animals such as rhinos and lions to entertain the Royal family.
In the August of 1884 Lidji
The Queen wrote in her journal, A tank was set into the ground for it to bathe in. The elephant was only at Osborne for a few days before being taken to the Regent’s Park Zoo in London.
The sunken stone-lined pit on the Osborne Golf Course is nicknamed ‘the elephant pit’ but it is not certain that the elephant was taken to it and it predates 1884. It is probably an old cattle drinking pond.
Downhill to next
Uphill to next
Funded by the