When Queen Victoria bought Osborne House in 1845 she saw it as a retreat from London but found the house not really large enough. Prince Albert commissioned Thomas Cubitt, the renowned builder of several terraces and squares in London to undertake the work. He was to build them a new house rather than alter the original.
Work started in 1845 and the entire house was finished in 1851. It was linked to the household wing, for staff, by a long corridor. He also built the Italianate gardens and terraces, under Albert’s supervision, on the seaward side of the house, overlooking the Solent. Cubitt lived at Victoria Cottage while the building was being completed.
The original house built in 1782
The Pavilion wing added in the 1840s
To start the walk, head to the exit at the Prince of Wales Gate
Funded by the