Near this spot stood the Trinity Pier Landing. In 1845 the Trinity House building was remodelled to include an impressive new entrance, store and superintendent’s house. The wharf was improved with a new pier being built at the expense of the Admiralty. Queen Victoria needed to be able to embark from the Royal Yacht without intrusion. The building echoed the design of Osborne House, and is in effect, the first lodge on the progress to the house.
Improvements were made to the water frontage in 1867 when the quay was extended out by the construction of a wooden piled jetty with wooden decking, incorporating a floating pontoon connected to the shore by a 43ft x 10ft.brow. Over the brow was an ornate shelter with a curved, corrugated roof. The whole ensured that the Queen could land sedately.
In 1896 an improved canopy over the brow was constructed in a Tudor style with two waiting rooms, gas lighting and telephones. It was taken down in 1950.
The Royal Yacht at Trinity landing (
To start the walk, head towards the mini-roundabout, turn right into Castle Street and left into York Avenue.
Funded by the