The original cottage was bought by Victoria in 1845 and improved the following year. In 1855 Prince Albert made drawings for a new building which he gave to the architect Albert Jenkins Humbert.
The house was completed in 1857 in time for the visit of the Emperor Napoleon III of France’s entourage to use it. Various additions and alterations were done throughout the nineteenth century including a connected covered passageway to Albert Cottage. The view from York Avenue is of the back of the house. A grander entrance opens onto the original Old Road. After Queen Victoria’s death, it became the island home of her daughter, Princess Beatrice. It was sold in 1913 and has had a number of owners since.
It is now divided into separate houses.
PLEASE NOTE: THE COTTAGE IS A PRIVATE RESIDENCE
The entrance on Old Road
Downhill to next
Uphill to next
Funded by the