The arch of Sovereign’s Gate and its supporting lodges were designed by the builder Thomas Cubitt in 1851 and occupied in 1853.
It is built in the Italianate style, modelled on a Roman triumphal arch, heralding the classical style of the main house inside. The entrance is reserved for visits to Osborne by members of the Royal Family. Now the building is converted into
The V A cypher on the gates
The Entrance lodge to East Cowes Castle now demolished. (
Downhill to next
Uphill to next
Funded by the